Thursday, November 1, 2007

Shuffle

You know what always makes me laugh? When you finally read the lyrics to a song that you’ve heard for a long-ass time, and sometimes particularly liked, and the subject matter of the song is not at all what you thought it was about – and sometimes it is quite sinister. I remember that happened to me with the Kinks’ “Lola.” Most recently, I had it happen to me with Beck’s “Girl.” I know I’m not the only one. It makes me laugh even harder when a band covers a song without knowing what the original was about. Like when lame Christian rockers Sixpence None the Richer covered the Las’ “There She Goes,” evidently without knowing that it was a song about heroin.

2 comments:

Jamm-o-rama said...

Ha! I didn't know that about Lola! I guess I just didn't pay very close attention to the lyrics except the chorus. I know what you mean though. It is pretty funny when your realize it.

Unconscious said...

Oh oh ... no. I have the best Lola story. I was drunk with Jen, and the lesbian at the lake house, and that song came on the Karaoke machine... and we all started reading the lyrics. And the lez, was yelling "Right on girl, right on!!!" And I was still questioning.... "didn't he just sing ... what I think he did?... No way!" lol Surprising for its time no doubt.