Friday, December 7, 2007

'Tis the Season

Wine is fine, but liquor is quicker.” If you read deep enough into this blog, you’ll find a bit of drinking going on, and you may note that I’m quite the liquor snob. I really enjoy a martini made with quality gin, for instance, and I don’t shy away from a premium vodka on the rocks when I really have to take the edge off. I’ve been known to spend good money on bottles of whiskeys from around the world (if the world consisted of Canada, Kentucky, and Ireland), and if I were stranded on deserted island, I’d be OK, so long as I had a never-ending supply of cold beer. But wine . . . I’ve never been able to get into wine, much to my chagrin. I’ve tried. Really I have. For what it’s worth, I tried to get into opera once, too. Some things just never “took” in the Jack Gordon repertoire. The finer points of wine appreciation are completely lost on me, and I have to say that my favorite bottle of wine, if I’m going to be cracking one open at home to share with a lady friend, is a Chilean Merlot called Casillero Del Diablo that I can pick up for under $10.00 at Cost Plus. When all is said and done, though, I typically won’t drink wine if there are alternatives available.

One thing that I do like to drink around the holiday season, however, is a good mulled wine. I keep a tin of mulling spices in my pantry, and at least once each December, I’ll buy a bottle of the cheapest burgundy I can find at the supermarket, fire up the stove, and make a batch. I may not have a Christmas tree or a Festivus pole up, and my house may look pathetic next to the Clark Griswold-esque decorating efforts that my neighbors make, but nobody will ever be able to label me a complete grinch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the holiday's not totally lost on you!

Anonymous said...

i actually fancy... "wine is fine or candy is candy... but give liquor and stick her."

Jamm-o-rama said...

Hmmm? I have never tried warm wine. Think I'm going to now.

Jack Gordon said...

Teacherbee: I try to be civilized sometimes, I really do.

Anon: I've always preferred "candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth."

Jamm-o, how ya doing? Am I your enabler? I think you're one reader on these posts that likes the drinky as much as I do. I'm always happy to give you ideas.