Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Theirs not to reason why . . .

Today in history: In 1879 one hundred and thirty-nine British soldiers successfully defended their garrison against an intense assault by four to five thousand Zulu warriors at Rorke's Drift. The overwhelming Zulu attack came a damned close to defeating the tiny British garrison. The successful defence of the outpost is held as one of history's finest defenses, and makes the Texans at the Alamo look like a bunch of rank amateurs. I hold all kinds of historical grudges against the British, but that doesn't mean I don't respect them.

2 comments:

bonnie said...

what's the moral here? should I trade in my shish kabob skewers for gun powder?

Jack Gordon said...

Bon, that's a start . . . I gathered that its better to be outnumbered than outgunned.