Friday, January 4, 2008

The more things change . . .

I had to give Frankie a ride home from the airport when we got back from Reno around 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday. After I dropped him off, I checked my phone to see who I had to call to wish a happy 2008. Turns out the ex had left me a message wishing me the best. I figured it was a new year, and a time for new beginnings, so I should put aside any resentment and bitterness and call her to return the wishes. After all, I’d just gone to Tahoe with a whole new group of friends, and I’ve been getting out there, and I’m pretty sure I’ve moved on after a whole year and some months have passed.

So I called her as I was driving home, and it turned out that she was reading at a Starbucks that was literally on my way home. I told her I’d drop by – I hadn’t seen her in a while. I got to the Starbucks, and it was pretty full of the usual Starbucks bar-fly types. I saw the ex, and gave her a hug. We sat down, and she asked what I had done for New Year’s Eve, and I had a good response to that (as opposed to last year). I had my digital camera in my jacket pocket, and I showed her the photos. She had spent New Year’s Eve with her family, and it sounded like she’d had a good time of it as well.

I was starving and asked her if she’d already eaten. She hadn’t, so I suggested we go across the street to Houston’s for dinner. Houston’s has never been one of “our” places. In fact, prior to that evening, I can’t recall ever having gone there with her. We sat at the bar, rather than a booth or table. The bartender, Tom, knows me because I’ve been there a few times for work happy hours, so he greeted me and asked what we were drinking. I opted for a greyhound, and Keri (the ex) asked for a Sapphire and tonic. We split an entrĂ©e that consisted of barbecue ribs, Brussels sprouts, and butternut squash. We had another drink with dinner, and a postprandial cocktail as well. She’s still seeing the doctor that she’s been seeing for a while now, and he’s taking her to Paris later this month. I’m not going to lie, that hurt a little to hear. We talked some more, reminisced, and one thing led to another. She asked if she could come over to my place and I acquiesced.

She awoke and left my place at around 5:00 a.m. on Wednesday, and I couldn’t help but think back to this post, and I said to myself: “She’s someone else’s problem now. . . .”


Anonymous said...

I came across this mildly entertaining blog while looking for information on shining shoes. I am not sure what a "Mad Shoeshiner" is, nor did I find any information regarding achieving a high gloss shoe shine. Please remedy this.

The following link is one of the best homilies on alcohol ever aired for your continuing diatribe. En vino veritas.

By the way, I am pretty sure "Andi" would mail you a pair of lacy panties if you asked her.

Jack Gordon said...

Tek, (a) you're just not looking hard enough; (b) the youtube link was very cool, thanks for that; and (c) Andi's definitely very cool as well, if you're going to stick around to comment you're gonna have to be nice.

Andi said...

Now I'm blushing!

As for this post...I swear, Jack, sometimes your life is like a movie! Which is probably why, when I got to "...and one thing led to another," I started yelling at the screen, "No, Jack, no! Bad road! BAD ROAD!" Since I was at work at the time, you can probably imagine my co-workers' surprise at my sudden outburst.

Jack Gordon said...

LOL; don't I know it, Andi!