Thursday, August 2, 2007

Life is weird sometimes

I've got this friend -- Moose -- and I've known him close to six years now. We were all right friends back in like 2003, and we had even planned to go on a booze cruise to Ensenada, Mexico around that time, but then he went falling in love on me and ended up getting married, and then I changed jobs, and Moose ended up becoming more of an acquaintance than a friend, although I still thought he was a pretty cool guy. Anyway, Moose took me to dinner tonight. He can always write off my meals as biz dev, so I never say no unless I have something better to do, and for like the last two years, every time he's pulled this, he ends up dropping some big news on his front. Tonight he told me he's going to be a dad. His wife is 10 weeks into the pregnancy. I was really happy for the guy. I remember when he had a silly crush on a cocktail waitress back in 2002 and she shot him down solid, and I had to get him drunk and told him he could do better than that anyway. Who'd have guessed he'd be the one with wife/life/kid on the way, and my life would be the example of stagnation?

As an aside, I met him through one of my exes, who went to high school with him back in the day and ended up working in the same office with him after college. She left me to go to grad school in Chicago back in 2004 and Moose and I stayed in touch, while I fell out of touch with her. As it turns out, she's getting married on August 18th. Given a long enough timeline everyone you love will reject you or die. Am I in a weird mood? Very well then, I'm in a weird mood. So it goes . . .

3 comments:

Unconscious said...

Speaking of weird moods...its funny I read yours right before I go on to my own blog to post a long ass rant LOL

Kewljen said...

I always think that things happen for a reason. I know that is so cliche' but I have truly felt that way. I have not had a perfect and charmed life and have dealt with stupidity and rejection and hurt. But each of those led me to a certain place and also helped me grow and learn, and yes sometimes get bitter. So just take each thing bad annoying, etc, try to learn from it and move on to a better place!

Jack Gordon said...

I suppose what does not kill us might make us stronger. . . . except for polio . . . that just fucks you up for the long run.