Monday, August 6, 2007

One of my favorite mythological moments

Circe turned Odysseus' men into swine. When Circe had used on Odysseus the magic which had up to then been successful and to her amazement saw him stand unchanged before her, she so marvelled at the man who could resist her enchantment that she loved him.

For some reason, I've always associated that story with the following qoute from Ferris Beuller's Day Off:
Cameron has never been in love - at least, nobody's ever been in love with him. If things don't change for him, he's gonna marry the first girl he lays, and she's gonna treat him like shit, because she will have given him what he has built up in his mind as the end-all, be-all of human existence. She won't respect him, 'cause you can't respect somebody who kisses your ass. It just doesn't work.

Thing is, I became aware of both Ferris Beuller and the Circe story around the same time frame in my life, and I was reading Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises where Robert Cohen refers to Lady Brett as a Circe. Man, I really liked that book.

No comments: